Job scam quick guide: it's a scam if...

  • they want you to collect and forward money in any way (a "money mule" job). You'll wind up engaged in money laundering, personally defrauded via expertly forged cheques, money orders, etc, or defrauding someone else who pays for goods that never arrive.
  • they want you to receive packages and reship them somewhere else. The goods will have been obtained fraudulently, and they're just using you to make the shipping address appear local. You will be aiding fraud.
  • they want up-front payment (either to them or someone else) of any sort for anything before you can get the job. This is advance fee fraud: there is no job -- it's just a big con to extract money from you.
  • they want you to buy any kind of "membership" or "kit" in order to start. Forget it -- it's not a real job at all: they're trying to sell you something, and they're probably making a bunch of other false claims about it if they're pitching it as a "job".
  • it's a job offer, and it's spam. There are LOTS of these scams about, as you can see.

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Dr Dove Smith

Odd. I don't remember applying for a job with a scammer who calls himself "Dr Dove Smith". Maybe he used some other name earlier. Or maybe he's just skipping the whole "would you like to apply for a job" bit, and hoping that people will jump at this opportunity for a job. Given that he wants to send me a check, I suspect that he's into check forgery. There's an outside chance that he's setting up a reshipper scam, though. Either way, it's a scam.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: DOVE_SMITH1 @ YAHOO. COM <DOVE_SMITH1@yahoo.com>
Date: 2008/7/26 UTC
Subject: JOB OFFER NEEDED.
To: ideceive@gmail.com


Thank you very much for your response and interest to my job offer, I want you to be rest assured that this is a legitimate job offer and if you can't get the materials and you are willing to do this job, I will send you some money for you to buy the materials, your salary will be paid through western union money transfer or bank wire transfer when your salary is ready at the end of a working month, I will arrange a computer if you don't have a computer, so please if you are really ready for the job, you can just let me have your details needed to send you a check to buy the materials: Full Names:? Address: ? City: ? State:? Zip Code:? Tel:? Email:? Age:? Gender:? Your current or recent job:? Please respond as soon as possible and let me know how I should proceed with sending the check to you, I will be going to see my aunty who is taking a breast cancer treatment here in the state and from there I will fly to London UK tomorrow to visit my relatives but that does not affect my job and your job position I have available for you so please do have a nice day...... Dr.Dove Smith. Best Wishes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dove_smith1@yahoo.com is also trying to get my details. We have a website at www.saveenergyaustralia.com.au and he say's he wants to buy a product. He insists on paying via wire transfer which seems wired because I thought that was for international payments. If you were in Australia wouldn't it be a bank transfer. Then we asked him for his address first and he refuses to give his details until he pays. Oh yes but he did mention he was in Adelaide except he spelt it wrong.

He just seems way too untrustworthy. Will post another comment if I have anymore news.